Why seek treatment?
Periodontal disease is the advanced stage of gum disease. It starts as gingivitis, when bacterial plaque hardens into tartar and irritates gum tissue. Without treatment, it worsens. Gums recede, exposing root structure. Bacteria invade deeper, attacking ligaments and bone that hold teeth in place.
It is important to know that it is never too late to address this condition. With an effective treatment plan and management strategy, gum health can be maintained. While bone and tooth loss cannot be reversed, with bone grafting, dental implants, and other progressive techniques, your oral health and smile appearance can be restored.
A personalized plan
Our goal is to get your periodontal disease in hand quickly, without surgery whenever possible. Your individualized treatment plan may include:
- Scaling and root planing – This deep cleaning technique removes tartar, plaque, and bacteria from teeth and pockets, and smooths root structure. It encourages gums to reestablish a tight seal to teeth.
- Anti-microbial treatment – Topical medication or mouth rinse reduces bacterial counts.
- Oral antibiotics – To fight infection.
- Home care – Instruction on techniques, frequency, and products to use.
- Recall visits – You may need hygiene visits more often than twice a year to monitor progress and keep your mouth sparkling clean.
- Crown lengthening – Removal of diseased gum tissue and/or bone to allow tooth repair.
- Soft tissue grafting – To replace gum tissue that has receded or been removed for crown lengthening.
Call (770) 786-2754 to schedule an appointment at Smile Creations in Covington, GA for periodontal disease treatment that respects your unique needs.